We are going through challenging times and are making daily, if not hourly, adjustments. VDOT is as well. Below is an email received on Monday, March 23, from their Workforce Development Section. Please note, Germanna Community College has been in contact with VDOT and the following applies to VECAT Classes:
1. VECAT is currently working on other technology to complete the MCS written exams online.
Once these technologies are evaluated, updates will be made available.
2. All MCS asphalt courses can be completed online and will continue to be offered. VECAT
offers 7 courses to meet the VDOT credentialing requirements.
3. Plant Level I proficiencies will continue to be offered virtually.
4. Plant Level II and Mix design proficiencies will be put on hold until a future date.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, VDOT is initiating the following revisions to the Materials Certification Schools guidelines:
• If you have never held a certification, you will be allowed to work under the direct supervision of a certified individual. The uncertified individual is “required” to complete the pertinent self-study or online course for a knowledge base prior to starting work.
• Those who held certifications as of December 31, 2019, but their certifications have expired in 2020 will have their certifications extended until June 30, 2020, or until new guidance is
Currently, all written examinations and proficiency examinations will be unavailable. VDOT continues to work with both the Community College Workforce Alliance (CCWA) and Germanna Community College (GCC) to explore alternative training and testing methods. This guideline will be in place until June 30, 2020, or until new guidance is issued. As conditions and guidance on the pandemic changes, these guidelines will be updated. Please go to the Materials Certification Schools webpage on the VDOT website for the most current information. http://www.virginiadot.org/business/matschools.asp
Jameo D. Pollock, Ed.D.
Statewide Technical Training Manager
VDOT l Human Resources Division l Workforce Development
Please feel free to contact Judith Calvert at GCC with any class and exam related questions. (email@example.com).
Thanks, and STAY SAFE!
Trenton M. Clark, P.E.